Monday, August 6, 2007

Today's lesson learned...

I talked with the guys from the tree people. They were supposed to come out today to "finish" and do a little more cutting. I was given a quote for a discounted rate from the previous days cost. I was told to check on the status at lunch time. I took off from work for a little while during my lunch time and was surprised. I can tell they were out there due to the chain laying differently on the gate, which was closed, and the trees that were moved off of the roadway. I went to the back part...and nobody and nothing. Oh, there were more articles of trash. I called the owner of the tree business. He asked how things were going, I said nobody was there. He said, how does it look with the trees chipped and shredded. I told him nothing was done. He sounded confused. He said he would call his guy and call me back. I waited for several minutes, watched a spider, threw leaves into it's web and answered natures call. Finally I received a call from him.

He said that his guys had a problem with the chipper and shredder, it broke. That explains the absence of people and machines. He said they would have to get it fixed and would probably be out this coming Wednesday. OK, I said. Just make sure everything cut is shredded before they leave and to pick up their trash. He said, "we'll get the trash because we always pick up our trash before we leave." I said, "no, your guys left trash out on the ground from Friday when you said you were 'finished'". He didn't answer to that. I'm getting more skeptical. He is defending his guys, seemingly insulting my intelligence and calling me a liar. Strike 2.5.

I thought it over and had once thought about just having him clean up his mess and leave rather than pay for a day of work and cleaning up his mess. It's already been a small headache. I decided to get him out of there and done. If this is what they do, then I don't need to have them do more and me decide to get angry about something new. At least they can just finish the job they started. Oh, I forgot to mention they cut down a tree that I asked them not to cut down, at least twice. Was it a casualty of war? Maybe another crew member cut it down before the crew leader could shout "NO!". Either way, it's down, I shared my frustration and I have to move on. I wasn't surprised by the upsetting sight. The tree was cool too! It was a cedar tree that seemed to grow on the ground and suddenly decided to grow toward the sky. Very unique tree.

OK, I called him back and told him I wasn't very satisfied and didn't want him to do any more than just clean up the mess they left behind. Yeah, he started getting pissy. Maybe because I already was myself. He started in about how it would take 3 hours of work and then an hour each way of drive time. Then, he started in about how it would take 5 hours of work and then about how he lost 2 hours of work today with his chipper breaking down, plus the expense of his parts and labor to fix the problem. I put on my assertive voice and told him it wasn't my fault his equipment broke, it was his liability and I wouldn't pay for it. He didn't ask for it, but I wasn't going to take his pity party either. I asked him, "_____ have you been out here and looked at the property?" He stated, "No, but I was planning on coming out at lunch time." Note: it was lunch time and he just found out his chipper was broke, or did he? He is coming close to strike 3...or is he already there? Oh yeah, he was there alright! I told him that there wasn't too much brush, but it was scattered all along the road, which is 900 feet or so of road. It wasn't too dense, but enough to look trashy. I told him it was about 2 hours of work, not 3. We negotiated on $200. Heck, it is work, they should have worked two full days, so he should get paid for his labor. He said he would be out there Wednesday to complete the clean up. He was told that I would check the property to make sure they finished the work right, which includes picking up ALL of their trash and cutting up ALL the limbs and brush strewn around. Then, I'd pay him.

Lesson learned: If I hire someone to complete a job correctly according to my expectations, then I must clearly communicate all my expectations to them, including cleaning up after they leave, and make sure I ask them to provide any and all updates as to any possible decisions prior to making decisions for me.

That is today. I'm up to date as far as the land progress. I will start sending updates as to my thinking on the building of the house and the experiences I have had as of yet and what I have learned.

I wanted to get the crushed concrete delivered this week, and that may still happen, but I will have to go with the flow. I hope, that by the end of next week, the first part of the road will be put in and the area for the slab will be cleared by the guy and his tractor (who is preparing the road). The Saga continues...

0 comments: