Sunday, August 26, 2007

Holy Mole, Look at all the metal pieces Batman!

Yes, my brother and I went out yesterday to see if we could remove a few pieces of metal from the road. I'm grateful a good friend let us borrow his metal detector. I thought when we first started, we would spend about an hour in the first 20 feet of the road pulling out metal pieces (being nails, rebar and other "Huh?" stuff). Much to my amazement, the pieces were less. At least I think so. The MD was going off non-stop. I had received a brief lesson on how to use it before departing to the property, I'm good. Since arriving, I had to call to confirm. This thing keeps beeping, and sounds like a mad video game or a very bad techno song. The lesson is over and I was doing things partially right. But, it still plays it's tune.

Most items are showing 8-10 inches deep. Now, the guy spread it out to only be about 3 – 4 inches deep. So, what was on the original road? Who Knows! We did find a lot of 4 inches or less items. Approximately 3-4 times as much as you saw on the last picture. I found something that looked like a lipstick container, but I think it used to be a tool. I'm not sure and I don't care to find out.

I am however, still concerned with driving on the road. We did excavate a LOT of stuff from it and that lowers the worry. But, the worry still exists. Last thing I want is a flat tire. We discussed putting down a top coat of road base, not crushed concrete sprinkled with metal pieces. Have another 2-3 inches of base that doesn't have anything, and it should put the remainder of the items at about 6-7 inches deep. I can handle that. It will cost another couple of hundred dollars, but having more road base was suggested originally anyways, not as much of a big deal.

Also, the guy spreading out the road base made several suggestions and also located a culvert that he can reuse in the place he said it needed one. He then said he would redesign the runoff paths, for water, so the road doesn't wash away. Sounds like a good idea!

We are getting along. I'll still park out by the gate for a little bit!

0 comments: