Sunday, August 26, 2007

Getting some bids…

I was able to call 3 people to see if I can get some estimates on building the 2 car carport and the attached storage shed. One guy will give me a call back with an estimate. He said he would work on an hourly basis, having me pay any subcontractors directly. He said it normally cost less than having a hard estimate. Hmm…I'd like to see his pseudo estimate. I asked him to think about what materials may cost and about how long it may take to be built, multiply that time a hourly wage amount and give me an estimate. Strange.

The other two guys are actually builders, vs. the handyman, and will come out to give me some bids. One is scheduled for next Wednesday afternoon and the last one is scheduled for next Saturday afternoon. One of the guys gave me an original estimate of about $2000. It was a 30 second estimate. I'd rather him think it out thoroughly. I'd hate for a $2000 estimate turn into a $4000 estimate. I do have a budget and a timeline.

I originally thought of having a cinderblock shed with metal/tin roof. Simple and sturdy. They are saying it may cost more. Ok, here are my thoughts. I do somewhat care what the materials are, but my bottom line is this… First, it must last a very, very long time and not rot, etc. Secondly, it must be cost effective. Sort of like the cheapest, best way to build it. I'm sure that is most people's ideas when the build.

I look forward to talking to the builders, as they could be potential builders for the house too! I like the idea of having a trial run with these guys. I want to see what it's like to work with each of them, personalities, work ethics and looking at their ideas.

Until then, happy Sunday!

0 comments: