Monday, October 15, 2007

Talked to the cabin folks…

I called the place with the Shoo-Fly Cabin and learned a few helpful hints. As far as their company, they can make hybrid plans and designs. They can use materials that are not log cabins, such as SIPS. They can also re-engineer their designs, as they have in house people to make that happen.

I learned that there are many, many corners on the house and he said it adds about 4-6K for each corner to the overall price. He said most homes have 4 corners, not 20 or so. Complexity adds $$$. Different elevation roof heights adds price. Since he said the company can build hybrid designs, SIPS was an option. I was told that SIPS adds about 20-25% more cost than standard custom homes, but also adds a high level of efficiency. We discussed that and broke down the overall costs. He said it would actually cost about 10-15% more than standard custom homes. He said that since the amount of labor is decreased (since it's like putting a jigsaw puzzle together) and the fact that it already has insulation in it, the price is lower for those items. He said that most people compare stick framing to SIPS and call it similar, whereas they forget the cost of insulation and the insulated siding that has to be installed on it as well. That was helpful information.

As much as I really like the plan, I think that if I can add my already existing ideas to the new ideas here, it can be really neat. I liked the porch designs and I liked the inset outdoor living space tremendously. The fireplace outside is a really neat idea. I was originally thinking of a fire pit, but this is an alternative. I know it's more expensive than a fire pit. Maybe I can incorporate a covered outside living room space and have a fire pit nearby. We will see.

0 comments: