Sunday, October 21, 2007

Prow'd House...

Yesterday we went to the Wimberley area to visit the "prow'd house" bed and breakfast. They were kind enough to let us visit and also they introduced us to the sales representative for Lindal homes. On to the house... It was a very nice design. It's a post and beam home and was warm and bright. There was a lot of cedar on the inside, especially in the very open great room, covering the ceiling. As much as I really enjoyed the house immensely, I would have to see other cedar home deigns to find one that suited my taste and style. It was, however, a beautiful site to see.

I do recommend their bed and breakfast to anyone. Check them out here!

In our discussion about the design elements of the house, the roof/ceiling was only 1 foot thick. All of the A/C ducts or vents were coming up from the slab. Oh, they had stained and scored concrete for their floors, beautiful! They didn't have to worry about the designing of the ducts in the ceiling or attic space, as they were in the concrete. I think that's a nifty idea. I don't know if it would be more or less costs than doing it the traditional way, but i know there wouldn't be issues with crimped A/C ducts, hot air coming out first in the summer and not having to worry about the A/C leaks that sometimes occur due to old silver tape coming off or racoons tearing up the duct work.

I liked the skylights in their house. Their house seemed to have a brightness and energy to it that gave it life. It was a great feeling! It was nice to know there is enough light during the day that none of the house lights needed to be turned on, as the whole house was bright enough. The kitchen was bright enough to actually cook a meal and not have one light turned on. It was like the outdoors were inside, but had some protection from the harsh rays and heat.

It was a good experience and gave me ideas and design delimmas to deal with in my head. I gave my name/address to the representative and he is going to mail me a copy of a Contemporary Craftsman home plan to look at. I still haven't decided how the house is going to be put together or which ideas, but I keep looking and fine tuning what I want, need and then dream about.

0 comments: