Monday, October 8, 2007

Birds and Bats…

I've been thinking a lot about what little buggers exist at the property. I know this past year has yielded much rain and has consequently created a safe haven for many little mosquitoes to thrive. Also, up near the front of the property is a big pond. I have been thinking of putting up a purple martin house that would allow bugs to be eaten during the day. Then, also put up a bat house to have the little Nile virus carriers to be consumed during the sleeping hours, at least human sleeping hours.

I'm sure the purple martin houses are standard. Clean them after they migrate…and wait for the new batch the next year to start new again. I have looked at several online and they seem to fit the requirements. I'm also looking at possibly buying one through a classified ad listing, possibly craigslist. I'm going to have to do some driving to find one I'm sure.

I saw a bat house that would hold 300 - 600 bats. I know that sounds like a lot, but according to the website it will serve a good 5-20 acre area. I'm all for little bugs to go bye bye. I read that it would be good to have at least an 80% capacity reached. I also heard that within six months to hopefully expect the first neighbor. It says on the website to move it around if a bat doesn't decide to roost within that time period. Enough with all the little details, I just think it would be neat to have a (almost) insect free space to live. I hope the actual neighbors wouldn't be shocked to see bats flying around at night, but I'm sure they will appreciate the effect. Here is the website for the bat house that I'm looking at purchasing someday: http://batroost.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11

Let's just say, I'd like to do it within the next six months or so for when spring rolls around. Also, get the birds and bats used to living there so when the house is there, they are already eating bugs! I have been out there many times and have thought I needed a big can of OFF to even stay outside the vehicle. Hopefully this helps it become an issue of the past!

0 comments: