Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Miscellanous Ideas and Links...

I get a lot of magazines and read a lot of websites. I like to either cut out articles, post about them or bookmark them in my Favorites. Here are some of the things I have recently discovered:

1. On the World's Greenest Homes on Planet Green TV show...there was a segment showing closet doors in one of the homes. What was neat about it? Well, they were bi-fold doors and on each fold were pictures. There were about 4-5 pictures that were framed in each fold. They were all in black and white, so it looked classy. I've even seen the tri-fold screens (privacy screens) in stores like Hobby Lobby that have them. I thought it was a good use of space without having to put a bunch of pictures frames all over the house.

2. A website Your Other Warehouse has a bunch of efficient and green building products.

3. I really like the simple linear trench drain or channel drain that Quick Drain USA creates. I would really like that in my house, instead of the basic round drain hole I've always seen. Plus, who needs a regular drain hole in a shower only application.

4. Also cool idea for Christmas Tree ornaments for next year! Get aluminum coke cans (or soda cans of choice) and cut out the center portion. Cut them into almost same size squares and then fold over the edges of the slightly larger one. Use a thumb tack and create interesting designs in the aluminum. Allow for one hole in a top corner and use wire to create a hanger to attach to the tree. To dress it up some you can add beads to the hanger. The article in "Natural Home" magazine just shows the shiny side, however if you want more color then allow the outside of the soda can to show. People will know what kind of soda you drink for sure! How about a Mountain Dew Christmas? Now, that is reusing products and turning them into recycled ornaments. Then, put the top and bottom of the can into your recycling bin. Save money on ornaments next year!

0 comments: