I finished the "Build Your Own Home on a Shoestring" book. Just a recap on some information and ideas I obtained. I found many useful web links. I'll be looking them up more and bookmarking what I think is helpful.
1. Soil Testing. I thought it was just for foundation work. Nope, it's for septic systems as well. The rate at which the soil can absorb moisture will determine what type of septic system is installed.
2. A few inches doesn't seem like a lot, but it does when it comes to cabinets. It says that kitchen designers can charge several hundred to put together a kitchen plan. However, if one goes to a place like Ikea they can use a kitchen design program for free that will give the perfect placement of cabinetry and appliances. Also, it will spit out an estimate for costs of materials, none of which includes the hard work done designing the kitchen with their software. Plus, there are so many styles, designs and layouts that can be tried with the software. That way one has many options to find what is just right for them! Note: Ikea has online planners for kitchens, bedrooms and offices.
3. Sat on toilets that cause you to feel claustrophobic? Yep, sometimes those spaces are little and not very comfortable. It says to make sure there is approximately 20 inches of space from any wall or cabinet to the center of the toilet. I've seen more and more toilets in their own little spaces, so this is an important bit of information to remember. Oh, it adds to the comfort needed to meditate on all of life's problems and how to fix them.
Next, my reading material will be "Tips & Traps When Building Your Home". I hope to get good information from it as well!
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment