Monday, January 5, 2009

Living Walls...

Ok...so, I watch Planet Green a lot! I have finished watching all of the World's Greenest Homes that were on my DVR. One of the items that I saw I'm 90+% sure I'm going to put in my house is a Living Wall. AKA Bio Wall or Bio Filter. On the inside of this specific house there was a wall of plants, about 6 feet wide and 9 feet high (I think I'm being conservative on that estimate). Either way, not only was it beautiful but it was very practical! I love plants and believe this can be a way for me to keep from killing them and create a true green space!

So, what are the benefits? Well...it takes the CO2 and VOC's out of the air and converts it to oxygen. Talk about a living air filtration system! It lowers the temperature in the area by a couple of degrees. That is much appreciated in Texas! Also, one square foot of plant is good for 100 sq. ft. of living space. So, about 15-18 plants will filter air for an 1800 sq. ft. house.

How does this work in a house? Well, it was setup vertically and in 45 degree planter rows. Imagine a planter box that is 6 foot across and has about 4-5 plants in it. Then, imagine the rows having rows above and below them of other planters. Add an automated watering/misting system on a timer and good plants. It was recommended to have several types of plants, from the prayer plant, ferns, ivy or even orchids.

I have wanted to have an exposed cinder block wall in the house and think this planter could go easily into this feature. I can make a wall with two short sides (imagine an U shape). Then, planters inside the structure. Where this could be placed in the house? Who knows...

I hope I haven't misrepresented this concept. Here is a link to The Furbish Company that can better explain the concept and give you more information about it.

2 comments:

rednex269 said...

Who gets to trim the plants when they get too big? or does it become a forest?

Cedar Creek said...

You ask a good question...and I have asked it myself. They say that Ivy is a good one. However, I can't imagine ivy starting to take over a house! So, it would have to be plants that don't grow very big. Ok...I just did a search for Prayer Plants and found information here. http://www.plantcare.com/encyclopedia/prayer-plant-656.aspx

Most of the plants on the tv show I saw were no bigger than about 18". So, getting smaller plants is advisable. Also, they were all tropical plants.

I suppose that it will be a trial and error at first. And if the plants get too big...cut some off and let someone else grow a plant.

Thanks for the question!