Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bastrop 1832 Farmer's Market...

A few weeks ago I went out to the property to see how things look. Not much different from last time. I saw a few flowers, very few. I know our dry, hot weather has contributed to it's lack of looking green. It looks like a lot of dirt with potential! I did throw out Bermuda grass seed a long time ago and it seems to be starting, but with the rain that followed, now the grass is growing on the road! At least it's started. I have recently looked at Zoysia grass. It may be a good option. I may try that out more in the fall if I decide to do so.

This post is more about my next adventure. I went to a new farmer's market near Bastrop, called Bastrop 1832 Farmer's Market. I'm not so much interested in all the local vegetables, at this time. I did learn a while back this was a SIPS built structure. So, I decided to pay a visit to learn more about their experience. They decided to go with a SIPS manufacturer out of Arizona, Premier Building Systems. She worked through a builder in Dripping Springs, CS Neumeyer, to get the products. She shared about getting three bids, the other ones from EH systems in New Braunfels, another in Wimberley. She thought about going with the Wimberley one, but they couldn't get the products in any less than 8 weeks. She wanted to start the project sooner than 8 weeks. EH systems were about the same price as the first group, but didn't offer larger panels at the time. (They have purchased machines from Pulte homes and now have that ability) So, back to PBS, she has used those products before from the same builder, she likes his straight forward approach and no BS.

They didn't go with the builder for the building process, as I was interested in that as well. They used a local person to Bastrop that has recently been doing SIPS work, first starting with an addition to their home. She said they are not cheap, but very thorough. Good enough workers to trust at your house without any supervision. That's good to hear. So, I have their contact information and good references. I also asked the nosy question of how much the SIPS cost themselves. It is a 5500 sq. ft. facility and they said it cost approx. 75K. I estimated it out at $13 per sq. ft. That is close to the $11 I was told before. Looking at that number, even at $13 per sq. ft., a 2500 sq. ft. house could cost about $32,500.00 for the SIPS alone. That gives me an idea of cost and expectations. She said the people in Wimberley were several thousand dollars cheaper, so it could less, possibly as low as $27,500.00 if it was $11 per sq. ft.

Either way, it was educational. It was helpful to find a trusted builder local to Cedar Creek. It was a good visit and helped me know a little more about the process. I hope someday you can visit them if you are out there. It is between highway 20 and 21 going east bound, on the right side of the road. You have to get on the access roads. I don't know if there is a warning sign, but it may be easy to pass up. Just circle around. They are just still starting up...but, the quick look showed potential and neat, healthy veggies!

0 comments: