I've known the second bidder, so it wasn't as much of a first time to meet. We talked briefly as to how we got the land and the cool features it has, in my opinion. He was able to get a rough idea of what we wanted and pretty much followed the same design format as the first bidder, without my prompting. However, he did suggest to put in skylights as an alternative to a light source than the transom windows the first guy suggested. I like the idea of skylights better as well, because it will be direct sun from above lighting up the space below. I would think the transom lights would only allow partial light to filter in, not giving it maximum light that may be necessary to complete the space. Also, with this guy, he added another 2 feet on the length of the slab/project. I'll have to remember that in the bid amount. I like having the 2 extra feet.
If I find I like the pricing for the first guy better, I'll ask him how much would it be affected if he took out the transom windows, put in skylights, and lengthened it by 2 feet. I'd like to see if the $ changes by much.
I'm also looking for a future builder…and these guys are both potential. I have seen the portfolio of the first guy, who said he would give references. I don't have any portfolio projects to look at of the second guy, other than to know about his work he has done for me in the past.
I hope to hear from them both by next week.
I don't think I'm going to hear from the third guy that I was asking for a bid from. And…I'm not going to try to either, it was too strange. He will work by the hour, sub contract it all out…and has no estimate in price other than, it will probably be cheaper than a hard estimate. That is too vague for me.
I hope you have a great Labor Day weekend!
0 comments:
Post a Comment