Friday, September 28, 2007

Getting closer…

Well, this has been long overdue. We have some progress and here goes…

From my three people bidding on doing the property, one never called back (and that's ok with me) and the other two had high bids. The first wanted to charge minimum 22K for the storage shed/carport. Then, the second guy was taking a LONG time to get back to me. I decided…let's check out one of the metal building companies that are local. I also had to rethink my plan. It simplified. Just a storage shed will have to do.

I went to the AMC building people that are in Manor, Tx. They have a fabrication plant in Bastrop, so it's still local. I learned that I can get a 20x20 storage shed, slab and roll top door for about 7K. That is the size of a small two car garage. That will have plenty storage. It will have 5 more feet one way and 10 more feet the other way compared to the already existing storage unit I'm renting right now.

I finally called the second builder and he seemed to be looking to subcontract the project. He said not everyone called him back, but the first subcontractor quoted him 75K. He said it was unrealistic. No doubt! I cut to the chase and said, I have someone that can build a storage shed for about 7K, can you match or beat that? He said he probably couldn't. I told him that due to time constraints…I needed to move quickly! I may have him involved in my future…but, not right now!

I contacted the AMC company and decided to get one that has a height of 9 feet on the side walls, instead of 10 feet. They have a model that is 10 feet high…and it's a monster of a storage shed. I saved some money too by going down a foot, several hundred dollars in fact. I can handle that! I chose the side walls to be a "clay" color and the trim and roof to be a "sandstone" color. Yeah, I know that's hard to imagine. The colors didn't seem to match the description to me, so, you will just have to see it in a picture in the future. He said it can take 4-6 weeks to get completed. I have to get on the ball! I'm looking at only having about 4 weeks before I have to either renew my storage unit rental or get moved out!

I quickly contacted others…getting ready to get started. So, that brings us more up to date! The guy that is going to do the site leveling is coming out this Saturday to get the areas ready for the forms and pouring of concrete. I put in a call to a concrete/foundation company to pour the concrete. They are giving us a great price. I left a message with them to be ready for the next week, as they told me to just give them a call and they could practically do next day service. I need to check again with them today to make sure they have the foundation plat and also check to see if there schedule could allow for a first of next week pour. I'm excited…and nervous. I'm ready to see this done!

0 comments: