I received a call on Saturday. I would have posted this then, but had to pick my brain off the floor first. As I finished the phone call with the quote, I said, "Ouch". Someone asked if I hurt myself, I said that I stubbed my brain on something, instead of, say, my toe. To get it started the quote for the carport and shed was 22K – 24K (depending on if I want soffit or not). My first thought was, this is a shell, a covering and a slab. I would think the slab could be one of the biggest costs. After my first 30 second estimate of around 2K, I was shocked. I still have yet to hear from the second guy.
It was mentioned to me the guy may be trying to bid high, so he wouldn't do the job. I'd figure I'll know when the second guy gives me his bid, as they are basically the same structure. In fact, the second guy put 2 extra feet into the slab.
I know I'm not trying to jump ship and jump to conclusions without the second bid, but if they are anywhere remotely close, I have to rethink my project. I have looked at places like homedepot.com and lowes.com for do it yourself kits, or already put together sheds. They don't go over about 7K. So, if I pay 7K plus a slab…even 10K sounds more reasonable. I wasn't prepared to pay that much either, but it's a better option. I'm thinking, just a shed is fine now, that is mainly what I need. I'll deal with a carport later so a smaller slab and just a storage shed are the only real necessity. Heck, I've thought about a dirt floor, but that is going too far.
I'm looking at more options now, as my head still spins, and have gone back to an original idea that I had moons ago! What about steel buildings? So, I'm looking at these websites for ideas…and possibly costs. I know they have kits, but the kits are still less expensive. I'd only have to either put some sweat equity into it…or have someone help put it together and pay them. This one, http://www.amcbldg.com/ , doesn't have a price list, but has the basics of what I need. Plus, they are a bunch of local people. My second thought belongs to these guys, http://www.muellerinc.com/ . They have a steel building prefab kit that is 24x24x10 for about $3600. That's a big storage shed…actually the size of a two car garage. I could do a lot with that. Add the cost of a slab…and a garage door. Hopefully be out of there with less than 10K invested.
I've already been imagining what I could do with an "extra" garage. I could put a small solar panel on it to give enough electricity to maybe a four plug panel. That way, the land can have some electricity for things, although not a huge amount. It can power what could be a nice TV and refrigerator for that "man cave". I could put a table and chairs in there…and just open the garage door when the guys come over. A cold drink, good football game or NASCAR race and sit back and have a good time. Heck, if I could eventually get wireless internet to stretch that far from the house, I could order papa john's pizza or dominos pizza from online. I'd be set!
Enough wishing…I have to consider my options. I'm looking forward to my second bid. I say that optimistically.
I hope your weekend was good!
0 comments:
Post a Comment