Monday, August 17, 2009

Well...

I'm still waiting on any or some news. I didn't want to keep you hanging by a thread!

I had decided a while back to start the process of decided who our home designer/architect would be around this time and start the plans in the fall. We have met with at least 5-8 different people, mostly face to face interviews and some phone interviews.

We have it narrowed down to just two architects. However, price is a biggest difference between the two. About $3000 difference. We have had prices from 60 cents a sq. ft. up to 20 - 24K for a 2000 sq. ft. space. It's been a bit crazy, but we have learned a lot about the differences between home designers and architects. Also, nationally known architects have the highest price tag!

So, we are still in that process. Now...on to the next step.

We have had many thoughts and learned many things from this 4-5 week journey. It seems that going with an owner/builder would be the best bet. Basically, it is someone that acts as a consultant on your project, provides you with trusted referrals for sub-contractors and the biggest value part is getting a builder discount at lumber companies, etc. Prices vary on this and so do the amount of services. However, even at the highest priced one, it may all be paid back by having the builder discount and using that saved money to pay for the services. It seems like a win/win type of decision.

Right now...we are trying to see if we qualify for a construction loan. Whoa!!! Now, that does go against what I originally wanted. Yes...very true. However, talking to these many different people, it put some thoughts into my head. Right now...economy is hurting. Many sub-contractors may be able to do the job at cost, just to keep employed, etc. That is a plus. Also, there are many contractors wanting work...and I can get some aggressive pricing on bids. I would think. I was also explained that the APR of home loans is very low, compared to recent years. I did see they are at about 5.35%. All these things sound promising.

Now...it's at a stand still again. I was thinking we could go ahead and start getting the plans going and possibly start building a house this fall! Woo Wee! Wouldn't that be fun! The snag now is home loans. Fortunately I have an excellent credit score. I was told that one year ago, they would have given me a loan right away. Being that I'm trying to get a home loan on my income alone, it is creating a problem. I don't have a projected cost analysis, so I can't put a specific price on the cost of the project. I'm just trying to get a pre-qual in a range. The other issue was explained by listening to NPR. They said that the middle class now is starting to experience foreclosures and it is at the highest percentage of them than ever before. That is what I remember hearing. That explains why the mortgage companies are having issues loaning me money at this current time. It does make some sense.

I wish I had more news than what I decided to go ahead and share. I'm still waiting to hear from some people and today I was expecting a call. Nothing. Maybe tomorrow I can get more direction or advice.

Also, I'm learning that I will have to compromise a lot of my grand plans and ideas. I had to scratch the yacht style house. The rocket shaped house is now a thing of the past. I also had to let go of the lap pool that had one of the biggest water slides in Texas to be installed. Oh well. Actually, I will have to look at compromising a few things to get what I want. I look at it as Plan B. Some things will need to stick, some can be changed. As long as we can still have the conceptual ideas still remain intact, the house can still be magnificent! You just can't walk into through the front door and step on a solid gold floor. I do still think I should get an urinal! :-)

I'll update you all soon enough!

(If any of you have any thoughts or pertinent information, it would be appreciated. I know you all have got my back!)

0 comments: