Friday, October 10, 2008

AIA Home Tour, Part 2...

So, what else happened at the AIA Austin Home Tour? Here it goes...

I'll hit the highlights...and leave out the lowlights. There are some houses that seemed sterile, too minimal and very uncomfortable. I have realized I like color, warm spaces and details that make the home look like someone lives in it. I like the idea of indoor/outdoor spaces. Why not have a space like a cafe? Find a table to set outside and enjoy the true weather and type updates on the blog! I thought the idea of having glass, or frosted glass, to have in places like a divider wall or such was really neat. However, I don't see myself putting it in the new house, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I did see one mirror in a bathroom that was hung by wire, using the window behind it to create a frame. Allows natural light but still provides some privacy.


So, what about cork floors? Well, my wife likes them. I'm still stuck on concrete floors. Maybe if we have an upstairs, it could be an option. We will see. Then, there was the thermal chimney in one house. I think it's a good design element to add, especially on a nice day when neither A/C or Heating is necessary. Oh...I loved the Craftsman house on East 13th...that was one of my top 3 houses. I loved the balconies, different levels and layouts of the rooms. The sensor lights on the stairs was awesome. I found out that I love Adirondack chairs. I suppose I have never sat on one. They were so comfortable! They had some on the back porch with a view of a beautiful yard and small putting green. I also liked how they had all their TV cable boxes, network storage, wireless networking and DVR all in the same small space. Just install wires through the house to the TV locations, using the wireless connector (I forgot the name of it, RF adapter?) to use cable with the remote...and no cable boxes to see and crazy wires all over the place.


At one place we met some friends we haven't seen in a while...that was a nice, surprise visit.

Let me move on to what I have wanted to share with you. The first house, which was second to last on our list to visit. The Rae Dell home, by Barron Custom Design. It was a pre-existing home that was refaced, remodeled and then added on to the house. They converted the Master Bedroom to a living space and added a two story space that was comprised of a lower level Master Bedroom and an Office Space above. They really made the new space to compliment the original space and gave the house a whole new feel. While walking in the new office space, I noticed some awards on the desk space. Low and behold...they were from the company my wife works at currently. Wow...huh?! Cool! My wife looked after my suggestion to see what was on the desk and realized the architect was an ex-co-worker. We were quick to go to find the owner/architect. We saw Felecia Foster out in the driveway. Both her and my wife recognized each other right away. So...we know someone who is an architect. I like the fact she has experience designing production homes that an average Joe would buy. Then, to top it...she has created custom homes that are especially designed for the owner and not cookie cutter. OK...I like these two perspectives in an architect. We will make sure to keep in contact with her. I know we need a house plan designed...and I haven't seen an existing one that will meet our needs. Maybe she could help bridge the gap between design and budget.

0 comments: